POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Linux? : Re: MORAY for Linux. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MORAY for Linux.
From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 21 Apr 1998 08:04:23
Message: <353C8B47.A9457565@global.net.uk>
Twyst wrote:

*snip*
> Personally, I tend to agree with Jeff. There's no money to be made by
> porting a program, that you have invested many man-hours into, to a OS where
> everything is expected to be free. It's like saying "Oh, i COULD make money

Ok, I just want to clear this up. Most Linux people DON'T expect everything written
for
linux to be free. The people who say that any software written for the Linux platform
should be free, are the same people who will never pay for shareware. They're the
people
who want everything to be free, even the roof over their head. You can make money off
the
Linux platform, but there is one very important thing you have to remember when you
write
commercial software for Linux: It has to very well done. A good example is
Accelx(www.xig.com). They write a commercial X server for Linux and various other
unices
and a large number of their customers are Linux users, because their X server is fast,
stable and well written.

> off it, but I don't feel like it." Admittedly, the Blender people DID
> release their in-house animation/modelling system for free, but then, they
> also make their money off of OTHER products. As far as I know, SoftTronics
> only makes one product, that being Moray.

The people who released blender plan to make money off it by selling a printed manual
and
a "Pro" version...very similar to Digi-Art.

Cheers, Matthew